Wednesday 9 November 2016

USA ELECTION // 2016

Hi Readers,

I don't want to do a huge rambling post about politics, because I know there's a huge amount of that going around today. I just wanted to write a quick piece to weigh in my opinion.

I said it with Brexit and I'll say it again, democracy in the USA worked yesterday. The whole point of having elections is so that we can fairly vote for who is in power, and the same thing has happened in this Presidential election.

However, I am in absolute disbelief that a man who is so spiteful, vindictive, racist, sexist and a homophobe has won (by a fair amount) the presidency.

The campaigns were absolutely appalling - for two professional candidates who are supposed to be making their country and the world a better place, they both sure did do an awful lot of name-calling and pointing out mistakes that the other had made. In my opinion a strong candidate would have been more focused on policy and how they were going to improve the situation.

I also agree with the number of tweets I've seen this morning that highlight how ridiculous it is that a country would rather have a man of Trump's nature in power instead of a woman with a lifetime of experience. Although I also agree that the first female president should be a stronger candidate than Clinton (please run, Michelle!).

I also feel so bad for Obama. After almost a decade of hard work, Trump has already said that many of the major points are going to be reversed on his first day in office, for example gun-free zones around schools. Obama did a lot for America and I can't imagine how he feels right now. It just takes a quick look around on snapchat, twitter, facebook to see how scared and worried Americans, and especially minority Americans, feel about their new President. The volume of protests already breaking out all over the US speaks volumes, and I can absolutely see how worrying it is for Americans, and the rest of the world.

It's heartbreaking that we can make so many leaps and bounds forwards with acceptance, love and equality only for someone filled with spite and anger to take power and prepare to tear it all down. Let's hope Trump will listen to his people and what his people want instead of just using his power for himself. Let's hope a man with multiple sexual harassment accusations doesn't remain in power for more than one term. Let's hope that love really does trump hate.

I always say this around times of big political movements and change, but when you're on the internet today please don't believe everything you read without checking sources and dates! A lot of old footage, stats, pictures, etc. resurface at times like these and they're often exaggerated and twisted. Be careful.  Thank you for reading! As always, find me on;
Facebook  - jess.massie.73
Twitter - @jessmassie_
Instagram - @jessicamassie_
Snapchat - jessmassie

No comments:

Post a Comment