Sunday 28 August 2016

BOOK REVIEW // INSIDE ALCATRAZ

Hi Readers,

Today I'm reviewing a book that's different to something I'd normally pick up. It's Jim Quillen's 'Inside Alcatraz : My Time on the Rock.' It's almost a memoir, a true story of his personal experiences within Alcatraz, and the events that put him there. 

I rarely read non-fiction but this could have easily been a fiction novel due to the huge amounts of excitement and action Quillen has experienced. 

The story is utterly gripping, I was instantly hooked even by the comparatively mundane stories of his childhood and didn't lose this feeling throughout the book. It's also one of the most honest stories I've ever read - Quillen is so good at holding his hands up and admitting he's done wrong and writing about his time in prison without glamorising it like so many books and movies do. 



The only fault I could pick with this book is sometimes I would get confused with how Quillen describes the prison layout - sometimes the book is so fast paced that it's hard to imagine which part of the prison he's talking about. I think because he spent so much time there it's much easier for him to visualise it than for someone who has never even had a tour round the prison. 

Overall this book was amazing, if you want a hard hitting truthful story about a man desperately trying to become good, and to learn a bit about one of the most historical nights in Alcatraz's history from someone who was actually there, I'd recommend this book for you! 

Thanks for reading, as always you can find me on; 
Facebook - jess.massie.73
Twitter - @jessmassie_
Instagram - @jessicamassie_
Snapchat - jessmassie

No comments:

Post a Comment