Monday 8 August 2016

POOR CONNECTION

Hi Readers,

Aside from it being a little late, this is a post that makes me very happy. A post that makes me truly realise how much I enjoy life, being outside, learning and seeing new things. Something that makes me realise how far away from myself I got when I wasn't with people who encouraged the things I love. 

I've been back living with my parents for around two weeks now and living in a small town compared to the third biggest city in the country makes a person notice the difference. I can no longer order Chinese food at 3am (not a bad thing actually, I've lost half a stone), or listen to drunks singing while they walk past my window, or just pop into town to the bookstore. I decided when I moved here that I was really going to immerse myself in things I love - books, guitar and photography. 

Since I came home I've been working really hard on my Instagram - making sure I post a picture every day. This is a good thing because it means that I have to do something worth taking a picture of every day, keeping me really busy. 




It also means I get to go to so many new places I've never seen before, as well as some of my favourite places that I'll never tire of. I have friends who would rather sit around a fire on a beach than sit in the pub and want to adventure and try new things. 

But mainly it means that I get to disconnect for a while. We spend so much time focused on our phones - facebook and twitter and instagram and netflix and texting - that we don't see what's always been in front of us. The beautiful things that have existed long before our technology and social media ever has. Clearly I'm a lover of social media, I love to learn and discover and share on it, but sometimes it is so refreshing to completely switch off. To not know who's crashed their car, or become pregnant or has a new boyfriend. To drink beer under the stars and meet new people who you'll never meet or speak to again. To pee in a bathroom with no lights. To sleep in something that isn't a bed. To try new things. To see new places. Laugh without having to broadcast it on facebook. To just enjoy someone's company and finding out about their lives from them, without already knowing what's going on with them because you saw it online first. For me, this is the beauty of living. A real vacation where conversation and nature are the most important things. I've made a promise to myself to do things like this more often. You should too. 




Thanks for reading, see you next week! (To back up my point, I'm not even going to share my social media links this week - go outside instead!). I also want to especially thank the friend that made me realise all of this - I doubt you're reading this but if you are, thank you.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment