Wednesday 28 June 2017

PARAMORE // THE USHER HALL EDINBURGH

Hi Readers,

This week I just want to gush over the gig I was at last week; Paramore at the Usher Hall.

I first saw Paramore seven years ago in Newcastle, when I was 14, and seeing them again last Thursday at 21 years old shows not only how much has changed in my life, but how much the band has changed. I've seen them a few times now and that's the first show I've been to where they didn't play a single song from the first album. And as sad as that is, it also shows how much they've grown and progressed, swapping out songs like Pressure for ones like Rose-Coloured Boy which has an energy that can only be believed when you experience it live.

The band in general has an energy that is unrivalled by lots of the other bands I've seen, and it only takes one or two songs before you absolutely understand why they are performing headline slots at festivals and selling out tiny venues like the Usher Hall in less than a minute.


Seeing them in such a small, cosy venue was also really special. We were seated in the grand circle but didn't once feel like we weren't included or ostracised from the gig. Hayley Williams mentioned that they wanted the first tour to be in small and intimate venues and that really resonated and made it feel much more special after their time off and with the emotional and personal themes of their new album.

They played the classics like That's What You Get and Misery Business (with a guest appearance from Lauren Mayberry from CHVRCES) which were amazing as always, but it was the new material that stood out, and songs like Turn it Off from the third album that you don't usually get to hear live. My personal favourites were Fake Happy, Playing God (because I forgot allll about how much I love that song) and their cover of Fleetwood Mac's 'Everywhere', which has been stuck in my head for the last week.


This band will not disappoint and I urge you if you can to see them live at every opportunity - just make sure you're ready to buy your tickets the SECOND they come on sale (I waited for half an hour before they went on sale and still couldn't get standing tickets) because this lot are in high demand right now. Their catalogue is massive and ranges from as emo as you can get, to electro-indie in their new release called After Laughter (seriously you need to hear this).

Paramore, you are a band I have loved for a long time, and a band I will hold dear for the rest of time. Thanks for an incredible night, and welcome back.

I hope you enjoyed this post! As always, you can find me on;
Facebook - jess.massie.73
Twitter - @jessmassie_
Instagram - @jessicamassie_
Snapchat - jessmassie

No comments:

Post a Comment