Wednesday 26 April 2017

BOOK REVIEW // ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE

Hi Readers,

Sorry it's been a couple of weeks again, but I'm going to try really hard to keep on track with uploading once a week on the blog from now on! 

Today, because I'm in the midst of manic exam revision, I'm just going to write a quick book review, because it's been a while since I did one. In this post I'm going to talk about 'All The Light We Cannot See' by Anthony Doerr. 

This book is something that I would normally never pick up, historical fiction isn't really my cup of tea. However, it was receiving so much attention on platforms like Instagram, Youtube and Tumblr that I thought I'd give it a bash. And I was not disappointed. 

The story is told from the perspective of two different characters - Marie-Laure, a blind French child who has been evacuated from her home and her life in Paris to a small seaside town in the north of France during World War II, and a German boy called Werner who is recruited by the German army because of his expert skills in fixing radios. Both of these characters are so well developed, and despite starting the book thinking I would take sides, I absolutely didn't. I grew so attached to both of these characters and wanted more and more of their story with every page. 


The story is done so interestingly and doesn't feel in the slightest like a long-drawn war novel, even if it did take me a little while to get into the book. If you're the same, persevere, I promise it will be worth it. The language is a little more difficult than what I'm used to, and it took a while to get into the swing of it, but once you find a flow with this book it's impossible to put down. 

The plot is exciting, interesting, educational and jaw-dropping. The way in which the two main characters' paths cross is phenomenal, and I guarantee the book will make you laugh, cry, laugh and cry again.

The author writes the setting of different areas of France absolutely flawlessly, making you feel like you are running along the walls of Saint-Malo with Marie-Laure. You truly feel immersed in the different towns and cities.

When I think about this book I remember it with rose-tinted glasses, with an almost nostalgic feeling, the same way I get about old films like Breakfast at Tiffany's. If nothing else, this book is beautiful and I'd highly recommend it. 

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you next week! As always, catch me on; 
Facebook - jess.massie.73
Twitter - @jessmassie_
Instagram - @jessicamassie_
Snapchat - jessmassie

No comments:

Post a Comment